Believe in yourself. Strength = Beauty
24 things I’ve learned, accomplished and have to be grateful for in the last year of life.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. From the gym to to emails and all the early mornings, I’ve learned a whole new devotion to work ethic and it feels good.
Skied and filmed with Warren Miller’s Ticket to Ride in Iceland. One of the most incredible life experiences I’ve ever had. Growing up watching Warren Miller films as a little girl and having the opportunity to ski in one has truly been a dream come true.
Became a Climate Reality Ambassador. #IAMPROSNOW
Blew out my shoulder (torn labrum, deep bone bruise, torn supraspinatus) in the beginning of the season, opted out of surgery and worked through a major injury the entire season. Through this I learned the repercussions of ignoring the body, pushing too hard, reinjury and a lot of pain. I think unfortunately sometimes you have to push too far to learn where your honest boundary lives.
Best purchase of the year: a tie between my vitamix (#sierra4kalesmoothies) and finally renting a place of my own (no more living out of my car or crashing with my brothers ahhhh sanctuary!)
Met one of my childhood heroes: Julia Mancuso… became friends and went on a wild surf adventure in Maui! Jumped off waterfalls, dove in to caves with turtles and sharks and surfed (got pummeled) by waves way too big for me. #girlcrush
Learning that it’s okay to struggle, it’s part of riding waves. Through injury, illness, heartbreak and all the small and large dramas of life we survive and move on to become better people with a greater capacity to love. When we spend time in darkness the light becomes that much brighter and beautiful.
Signed with Wasserman Media / Circe Wallace for athlete management. #stoked
Asking for what you want. Communication can be so hard, especially when you really want something. I think it’s hardest to ask for the things that you want the most but if you don’t ask the answer is already no. Learning.
Hit the international modeling scene with gigs in New Zealand, Mexico, Canada and Switzerland. #feelingblessed
Signed a new sponsorship deal with the best helmets around: Bern Unlimited.
Finding a neutral place. I’ve worked really hard to find a neutral place where I can recognize the opinions of others without letting them effect me. Good or bad. It’s good to walk my path unwavering.
Committed to being permanently glued to a reusable water bottle. #nomoreplastic I also carry a fork when I’m traveling to avoid using single use plastic utensils.
Skateboarded in some of the most amazing cities in the world: New York City, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and Chicago.
Booked Nike & modeled for Athleta in beautiful New Zealand.
Had the privilege of playing Ayla in Sweetgrass Production’s Valhalla which won “Ski Film of the Year.” Ayla’s confidence, independence and deep love for nature stirred these characteristics inside of me. Spending 6 weeks filming with the talented Sweetgrass boys and living the film was an incredible experience that I’ll never forget.
Signed with JE Models in San Francisco.
Worked with American Eagle on my favorite campaign ever: Skinniest Skinny Jean. Ha! April Fools!
Surfed the Arctic Ocean. Burr.
Failure leads to success. I think there have been times where I’ve been so fearful of failure that I didn’t even want to begin. Failing means you’re reaching outside your comfort zone and trying. I’m learning to find beauty in my attempts and failures.
Fell in love with rollerblading. Well, more the combination of 80’s attire and rollerblading together.
Feeling more inspired than ever before to be the best person that I can be.
2013 was a goodie. Wishing you all of the success, happiness and love you could ever imagine! Here’s to having fun, working hard and doing what you love! xox Sierra #HappyNewYear (at 2013)
Give all your special lady shredders exactly what they want and need this holiday season.
Why I love each of these pieces:
Spyder Raven Jacket: This piece has everything you could possibly want in a jacket: warm, stylish and wearable for every occasion.
Spyder Trigger Pants: comfortable, durable, flattering fit and they come in just about every color you could possibly want.
Oakley Canopy: super stylish (bigger is better) and periphery for days. Hands down the best goggle on the market.
Oakley RSVP: little bit geek, lotta bit chic. Love the retro look.
Discrete Doyonator: relaxed fit, color pop and a perfect fit on and off the mountain.
Bern Lenox: super lightweight, comfortable, safe and it comes in turquoise!
Hestra Henrik Windstedt Pro Mitt: I think every girl in the world runs cold. Hestras are the best investments you can make. Not only are they the warmest mitts around but also the most durable. This color combo is amazing.
Dalbello: This is the best freeride boot for aggressive riders that don’t want to sacrifice comfort.
Volkl Kiku: Hands down the best female ski on the market. 107 under foot makes it perfect for all conditions. Stiff, agile, aggressive and playful. This is a do all ski. And did I mention it comes in a 178?
Ten things I am giving thanks for this holiday.
1. My amazing family, boyfriend and friends. You guys kick ass. Thanks for being my foundation.
2. Beautiful babes: from my mom to my best friends Toe and Kristina. I am so blessed to be surrounded by rare females that understand how to truly support and love one another.
3. My health. Last year was a wild ride of keeping my broken body together. I am feeling stronger than ever and enjoying the hard work that goes in to strength. Thankful for my food sponsors Real Food Real Life. Justin’s Almond Butter. Mamma Chia. And thankful for my trainers, physical therapists, massage therapists, yoga instructors… Bless you.
4. My outerwear sponsor Spyder. Thank you for being my first ski sponsor ever, for signing me, believing in me and giving me opportunities for growth. Thank you Jamie Starr for being an incredible human being. I love you guys.
5. I am thankful for the strength to work through challenges that at times have felt crippling. I am thankful for my challenges in life. I am grateful for the opportunities for growth that this universe puts on my plate.
6. Yoga. I am grateful for the physical, mental and emotional benefits of the practice. I am thankful for the consciousness, balance, strength and gratitude that yoga brings to my life.
7. Raging dance parties. Because they make me haaaaaapppyyyy.
8. I am beyond grateful to be able to make a living with my greatest passion in life: skiing. I am thankful for all of the opportunities and hard work. All of my sponsors that make it possible to live my dream: Volkl, Spyder, Discrete, Bern, Oakley and Marker.
9. Flourless chocolate cake. Popcorn. Kale. Sausage and sauerkraut. Good wine.